Skateboarding for kids is a thrilling journey of fun and learning. Skateboarding is not just a sport with adrenaline-rush for adults, it can be equally fun and educational for kids. It is famous as a dynamic sport among people of all age groups and different walks of life. Skateboarding for kids can be very rewarding to inculcate life lessons, maintain physical fitness, and create a scope of love for adventure. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of skateboarding, skateboard games for kids, skateboarding safety tips for concerned parents, and best skateboarding gear.
Benefits Of Skateboarding
- Physical Fitness: Skateboarding for kids is like a full-body workout. It keeps them moving while exercising various muscles of the body. It ensures that the kids stay active. It also improves cardiovascular health.
- Coordination and Balance: Skateboarding requires a high level of coordination and balance. Kids who skateboard will eventually excel in these two areas, which can also be beneficial for other sports and activities.
- Building Confidence: Kids can learn to achieve skateboarding tricks and techniques. This can help in a boost in self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Independence: This sport can help kids realise a sense of independence by setting their own goals, practicing, and achieving them through their own efforts.
- Social Interaction and a Sense of Belonging: Kids who skateboard can make lasting friendships with peers that have the same interest. They can play games and practice skateboarding tricks together. They will learn and grow together, in both the sport and in age, leading to a sense of belonging in a community with shared interests.
Skateboard Games For Kids
Skateboarding is a dynamic and versatile sport that can include a lot of games that can be played safely and enjoyed by kids of all age groups. Skateboard games for kids are a great way to enhance their skills while enjoying some friendly competition.
- Game of S.K.A.T.E.: This game can be played by two or more skaters. Each kid will take turns doing a skateboard trick. If one succeeds in doing a trick, the others will have to do it too. If they fail to do the trick, they receive a letter (S, K, A, T, E), and the first to spell “SKATE” loses the game. If there are more than two kids, continue the game until you are left with one winner.
- Skateboard Obstacle Course: Create a mini skateboard obstacle course in your driveway or skate park using cones, ramps, and other props. Each kid can take turns trying to navigate through the obstacle course. Add a timer to include a competitive edge. The kid who clears the obstacle course in the least time wins.
- Longest Manual Contest: The longest manual is a trick that involves a skater to balance the skateboard on two wheels. Ask the kids to learn this trick and time them individually. The one who can do it for the longest time wins. This trick enhances balance and control.
- Mini Ramp Jam: If you have access to a mini ramp, take the kids out for a mini ramp jam. They can show their tricks on the ramp, and others can watch and learn from them.
- Manual Tic-Tac-Toe: Draw a tic-tac-toe grid on a smooth surface and ask the kids to play a manual tic-tac-toe using only manuals to claim the X or O. The first kid to complete a row, column, or diagonal wins the game.
Skateboarding Safety Tips
Safety is of paramount importance when it comes to skateboarding on ramps or on the streets. Here are some skateboarding safety tips:
- Wear Protective Gear: Ensure that your kid wears a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards whether they are practicing alone, having a friendly competition with other kids, or going out in the streets. This will help prevent serious injuries.
- Choose the Right Skateboard: Ensure that you buy the right size of skateboard for your kid. It will help in controlling and maneuvering easily,
- Find Suitable Terrain: Always start practice on a flat and smooth surface for them to learn. When they progress in experience, expose them to more rugged and challenging terrains. Ensure that you read the skate park’s rules and regulations.
- Learn Basic Techniques: Ensure that your kid learns the basic techniques of balancing, stopping, and falling safely to minimise injury.
- Supervise: Always ensure you are supervising your kid in the beginning learning stage until they are more confident to go on their own.
- Regular Maintenance: Ensure safety by regular maintenance of the skateboard. Check for properly tightened trucks and well-maintained wheels and bearing. Always check for damaged parts.
- Traffic Awareness: According to their age, if they can go to the streets alone without supervision, teach the kid proper traffic rules. They should understand road safety and the importance of obeying traffic rules.
- Avoid Distractions: Teach your child not to wear earphones/headphones or be involved in texting while skateboarding in order to minimise accidents.
- Hydration and Sunscreen: Remind your kid to stay well-hydrated and apply sunscreen on exposed parts of their body while skateboarding outdoors.
- Mindfulness of Limits: Encourage your kid to be mindful about their limits so that they do not exert to try tricks and techniques beyond their current skill limit. This will avoid injuries.
Best Skateboarding Gear
Choosing the right and best skateboarding gear is very crucial for overall fun and safety of the kid. Here is a list of the best skateboarding gear:
- Helmet: Invest in a quality skateboarding helmet that fits snugly and allows proper ventilation. Look for safety certifications to ensure that proper safety standards are met.
- Pads and Guards: Invest in proper elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards to prevent injuries during falls.
- Skateboard Deck: Invest in the right size of skateboard deck for your kid. Keep in mind the age and skill level.
- Trucks: Quality skateboard trucks are essential for control and stability. Ensure that they are appropriately sized according to the skateboard deck.
- Wheels and Bearings: Good quality wheels and bearings are essential for good control and a better ride. Soft wheels are good for beginners, while more experienced skaters can use hard wheels.
- Grip Tape: A good grip tape is necessary for better control of the skateboard. Make sure it is securely applied to the deck.
- Shoes: Skateboarding shoes are flat-soled with a good grip to help with stability and control. Ensure comfort and durability in the shoes.
- Tools: A skate tool comes in handy to make minor adjustments to the skateboard.
- Ramps and Rails: Help your kid go a notch higher in learning tricks at home by installing ramps and rails.
- Backpack: Invest in a durable, good backpack for the kid to carry the gears and skateboard while not skateboarding.
In the realm of sports and recreation, skateboarding for kids can be a fulfilling getaway to mental and physical wellness. It can boost excitement, creativity, and personal growth. Including games for your kid can help them have a competitive edge. Safety is paramount for kids playing any sport. It is necessary to invest in the right safety gears and advice while your kid learns new tricks that will boost their confidence. Encourage your kid to hop on a skateboard, while they roll towards a road of thrilling fun and endless possibilities.
For more information, visit EuroKids, or visit a center nearest to you.