• Home
  • Child
  • What Actions To Take In Case Your Child Has Ingested A Foreign Object

What Actions To Take In Case Your Child Has Ingested A Foreign Object

Every parent’s heart clenches when their little explorer starts experiencing the world, sometimes a little too enthusiastically, and pops something unexpected into their mouth. While most toddlers outgrow this “put-everything-in-the-mouth” phase unscathed, the occasional swallowed object can send chills down any spine. But before panic sets in, here’s a comprehensive guide tailored specifically for parents to face this situation calmly. Reading this articles will help answer the question in your mind ‘how to know if baby has swallowed something’ and will equip you with solutions

While most swallowed objects pass harmlessly, some pose specific risks. Recognizing these dangers helps you react appropriately.

  1. Sharp articles:
  2. Colorful beads, ornamental buttons, razor blades, pins, or broken toys, be they plastic, metal, or wooden, can cause inward wounds as they go through the stomach. Prompt medical attention is essential in such cases.

  3. Batteries:
  4. Button batteries can release unsafe substances after ingestion. Call your local helpline or pediatrician immediately and adhere to their guidelines.

  5. Magnets:
  6. Swallowed magnets can draw in one another inside the digestive organs, causing blockages and tissue harm. Seek immediate medical attention.

  7. Medications:
  8. Even the smallest amount of certain medicines can be harmful. Call the helpline for advice if swallowed by the child, even if your child seems fine.

  9. Household Cleaning Agents:
  10. Cleaning items, cleansers, or even what seems to be a safe thing like hand sanitizers, can be harmful. Contact your doctor immediately.

What To Do If Child Swallows Something

  1. Maintain Your Calm and Evaluate the Situation:
  2. Feeling your world fall apart is normal, but maintaining calm is crucial. Take a full breath and think about the next steps. First, figure out what your child could have swallowed. Was it a little toy, a marble, a button, or something sharp or possibly harmful? Recognizing the item decides the next action you should take. If you are wondering how to know if a baby has swallowed something then the answer is simple – Observe the child closely.

  3. Check for Side Effects:
  4. Search for indications of trouble like coughing, choking slobbering, trouble breathing, regurgitating, or stomach pain. These could be the symptoms if baby swallowed something serious and must be treated immediately. Even if you are unsure that your child has swallowed something or not sure what he/she swallowed, don’t second guess. Instead, take the child to a doctor immediately. This is particularly crucial when we are talking about what happens when a baby swallows a coin, as it could pose specific health risks.

  5. Call the Poison Control Center Immediately:
  6. Dial 1800-425-1213 from anywhere in India. They are available round the clock for assistance. In case you are not able to get through to them, then simply rush to the hospital nearest to your home and go to its emergency room. This step is vital in understanding what to do if a baby swallows something harmful as the helpline can give you guidance on immediate first aid steps. You could also find out if there is a local poison helpline number and if yes, keep that saved in your phone.

  7. Look for Immediate Medical Attention if necessary:
  8. Don’t wait to remember what your child swallowed or when. If your child has swallowed a sharp object, or you are unsure about the object or its potential for harm, go to the nearest emergency section of the nearest hospital right away. Parents should immediately seek medical advice upon noticing symptoms if the baby swallowed something hazardous.

Be Observant At Home:

Assuming the article was little and smooth and your kid shows no side effects, you can continue observing your child after the hospital visit. This includes:

  1. Observing solid discharges:
  2. Take a look at each diaper or stool for the item to be sure it passes away in the feces. It may take several days, depending on the object’s size and your child’s digestive system, so patience is essential.

  3. Providing fluids:
  4. To facilitate the object’s easier passage through their system, encourage your child to drink a lot of fluids, such as homemade soup or water.

  5. Avoiding laxatives or home cures:
  6. Except if explicitly advised by your doctor, don’t administer laxatives or induce vomiting as they can potentially do more harm. These steps are crucial when considering what to do if baby swallows something non-toxic but still concerning.

Prevention is Always Better:

We understand that at times despite being very careful, mishaps do happen. However, let’s try our best to ensure we do certain things proactively to avoid them.

  1. Keep tiny objects far off:
  2. This includes anything which is small enough to be picked by your baby and mouthed. Like coins, legos, small parts of a toy, clips, batteries, screws, buttons, erasers, bottle caps, earpods, pills, match sticks. Remember, the child, (especially 8 months to 2 years) is constantly trying to learn about her surroundings. Mouthing things to get a feel of it is one of the most natural ways babies do that. So use a simple rule “out of sight, out of mouth” Store cleaning agents safely: Lock away cleaning items, cleansers, and meds in cupboards with childproof locks or high shelves difficult to reach to inquisitive babies.

  3. Use childproof safety hooks:
  4. On cupboards, drawers, and latrines to keep inquisitive little children from investigating possibly risky regions.

  5. Be mindful of social practices:
  6. Certain traditional Indian practices include offering something sweet to the baby which is often mishri (crystallized sugar pieces). This could be a complete choking hazard. Similarly, even certain food items, though not harmful, can be a potential choking hazard for the little baby especially if they don’t know how to chew yet – like apple pieces, whole grapes, or anything very chunky.

We’ve covered a lot, and rightfully so. Your child’s safety is your top priority, and navigating a swallowed object situation can be overwhelming. But remember, you’re not alone. All parents experience it. The key takeaway? Stay calm, assess the situation, and take action. Trust your instincts and cherish those precious moments of exploration, even the messy ones (it’s OK). Because amidst the worry, seeing your little one discover the world makes it all worthwhile, doesn’t it? For more such informative blogs, visit us at

Follow Us

Get Update

Subscribe our newsletter to get the best stories into your inbox!