Do you have a room full of colourful baby toys? Toys that look cheerful and make funny noises when touched? Does the room feel like a happy place for your little munchkin to play and relax? We are sure that it is a room filled with joy! Seeing them be amazed as they learn about new colours, shapes, textures, and animals is a feeling like no other.
While you carefully watch, you see your baby drooling all over those shiny toys and wonder how to clean them safely and correctly. We feel you. We have all been there, after all 🙂
We are aware that cleaning baby toys is vital for their overall health and well-being. Often, toys become a breeding ground for germs that can cause sickness or infections if not appropriately addressed. By now, you must be thinking of the best way to clean baby toys! In this blog, we’ll discuss the best way to clean baby toys, tips on maintaining cleanliness, and guidelines for disinfecting kids’ toys.
Why Clean Baby Toys?
A weak immune system makes infants more likely to get sick from microorganisms in their environment.Because of this, it is vital to clean their toys often. Dirty toys can harbour bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microorganisms that can make your baby sick.
Cleaning Baby Toys
Numerous methods exist for cleaning baby toys, which vary based on the toy’s type and the materials used in its construction. Here are some tips for cleaning baby toys:
- Washable Toys
The toy may be cleaned effectively with a light detergent and some warm water.Use a soft bristles brush to scrub the toy clean of any dirt or grime. After rinsing with clean water, let the item dry naturally.
- Plastic Toys
Plastic toys can be washed using soap and water, or you can opt for a disinfectant spray or wipes. Seek out a baby toy cleaner that’s non-toxic and safe. Be cautious, as some disinfectants may be abrasive and include chemicals detrimental to your baby. Make sure to carefully read the label and adhere to the provided instructions.
- Stuffed Animals
Stuffed animals can be tricky to clean because they can’t be washed like other toys. You can spot-clean them with a damp cloth and mild soap. Try using a brush to remove any dirt or stains. If the stuffed animal is machine washable, nothing like it!
- Wooden Toys
For wooden toys, cleaning with soap and water is acceptable, but take care not to drench them or make them excessively wet. You can also use a disinfectant spray or wipes, but make sure they are safe for wood. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that can damage the wood.
- Electronic Toys
First, remove batteries and any removable parts. Wipe the toy with a cloth dampened with mild soap and water. Avoid getting water into the electronic components. Dry the toy thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Disinfecting Kids Toys
Cleaning baby toys is essential, but sometimes you need to disinfect them to kill germs and bacteria. Here are some tips for disinfecting kids toys:
- Vinegar Solution – Vinegar is a natural disinfectant that can kill germs and bacteria. Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the solution on the toy. Allow it to rest for several minutes before wiping the toy with a clean cloth. While vinegar is non-toxic and safe, keep in mind that its potent odour may be disagreeable to some.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution – Hydrogen peroxide serves as an additional natural disinfectant capable of eliminating germs and bacteria. Mix equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and then apply the solution to the toy. Let it sit briefly before cleaning the toy with a fresh cloth. Be aware that hydrogen peroxide may cause discolouration in coloured toys, so it’s wise to test a small area initially.
- Bleach Solution – Bleach is a potent disinfectant effective at eliminating germs and bacteria, but it can also be strong and harmful. Mix one tablespoon of bleach with one gallon of water and use the solution to wipe down the toy. Bleach can damage some materials, so test it on a small area first.
- Steam Cleaning – Steam cleaning is a safe and effective way to disinfect baby toys. You can use a steam cleaner or a handheld steam cleaner to clean and disinfect toys. Steam can kill germs and bacteria without using harsh chemicals. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the appropriate attachments for cleaning toys. Is this the best way to clean baby toys? We say yes!
Tips for maintaining cleanliness of toys
Tips for maintaining cleanliness:
Okay, we have seen a few ways in which you can clean your baby’s precious toys. We are sure you will have your best way to clean baby toys but keeping your child’s toys clean can be a daunting task, especially with so many toys in rotation. However, establishing a routine and following these tips can make the process more manageable:
- Clean and disinfect toys regularly: Set aside time each week or month, depending on the toy’s usage, to give them a thorough cleaning and disinfection. This can help keep germs away and maintain the place where your child plays healthy.
- Rotate toys: If your child has a large collection of toys, consider rotating them in and out of use. This allows your child more options to play while also making cleaning and caring for a smaller number of toys easier.
- Good hygiene: The need of washing hands before and after playing with toys should be emphasised from an early age. This simple habit can significantly reduce the spread of germs and the need for constant toy cleaning.
- Store toys properly: Invest in toy storage solutions, such as bins or shelves, to keep toys organized and off the floor. The toys won’t collect dust, making it easier to keep them clean.
- Check toys for damage: Check toys often for signs of wear and tear, such cracks, loose components, or paint that is peeling. Broken toys can be hard to clean and could even be dangerous for your child. Dispose of or repair damaged toys as needed.
By understanding the best way to clean baby toys, using a baby toy cleaner, and disinfecting kids’ toys, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable play environment for your little one. By establishing a consistent cleaning schedule, appropriate storage, and adhering to good hygiene habits, you can maintain your child’s toys in excellent condition while safeguarding them against detrimental germs and bacteria. For reading other blogs like these, that make our parenting job easier, head to our blogs section.